Cheryl Forberg, nutritionist for the Biggest Loser, and one of my personal heroes in my weight loss journey, posted an awesome blog today! It’s absolutely dead on – and it’s exactely the kind of advice she gave to us contestants that had a huge impact in our ability to lose the weight. Here’s the intro … follow the link at the end to get the rest!
#1 Tip for Successful Weight Loss
I’m often asked, “If I were to change just one thing, what could I do to help me lose weight and/or improve my health?” I’d definitely make my recommendation based on a list of common denominators that helped overweight contestants win a place on NBC’sThe Biggest Loser. These same factors have helped America earn its top ranking among obese nations of the world. I found that most contestants:
- had absolutely no idea how many calories their body really needs (and how many more they are actually taking in)
- skipped breakfast and often, many other meals
- didn’t eat enough fruit or vegetables
- didn’t eat enough protein (lean protein)
- didn’t eat enough whole grains
- ate too much white stuff; white flour; white pasta, white sugar, white rice, simple carbs
didn’t feel they had time to plan ahead – they found themselves grabbing something quick for a meal – often consumed in the car or at their desk.
- often had enough calories in beverages alone to meet their daily caloric needs
- didn’t drink enough water
- didn’t exercise enough (if at all)
- prioritized their spouse, partner, children and/or their jobs over their own health and well-being