My second resource with YouthMin.org! I have to admit, this is one of my all time favorite teaching series that I’ve put together; it tackles science and faith. You can find it here. Here’s the description from YouthMin.org:
Life, the Universe & Everything is a three week message series that tackles some of the toughest questions. The issue of faith and science is one that the church has not had a great history with; it’s one of the main reasons young people give for leaving the faith after high school. Using some of the latest research, as well as quotes from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Doctor Who, this series attempts to give students a new framework for reconciling faith and science, while at the same time exploring the core message of scripture.
- Week One, “The Ultimate Question,” challenges students to consider whether we are asking the right questions of scripture when we address the topic of faith and science. This message also addresses the core purpose of scripture: to guide us to God.
- Week Two, “Don’t Panic,” takes a deep look at Genesis 1, four different theories of origin, and how Christians can approach Genesis 1 in a way that honors God.
- Week Three, “Mostly Harmless,” explores Genesis 2, the creation of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, and what scripture teaches us about the nature of humanity and its origins.
This series draws heavily on current research and Biblical experts for guidance. It is not a series that advocates for one approach to interpretation (e.g., young earth, old earth, etc.), rather, it challenges listeners to a different path, one in which we can have unity in faith while having different approaches to questions regarding science.
- 3 Manuscripts
- 3 PowerPoint presentations
- 3 Handouts with discussion questions
- Graphics package, including social media images