Sunday. Was. Awesome.
Seriously. It was a GREAT day to be at Brandywine Valley Baptist Church!
Our fragmented congregation is back together, in one building, after eighteen long months of construction! The student ministry finally reclaimed the gym after a year and a half of meeting in a neighboring school! Which meant that we basically threw a party! We had a potluck style breakfast for the first part of the morning, then some seriously rocking worship (check out the video!) with our AWESOME student praise team! I gave a short talk on our purpose state, ‘we are real people, in love with a real God, making a real difference in the world,’ and what that means to us as a group. For the next five weeks we’ll actually be taking a closer look at that and why we get together. What’s our purpose? Why is it so important and meaningful to us to have this time and this space? I think there are five parts to that purpose statement, five reasons why we get together; fellowship (‘we are real people’), discipleship and worship (‘in love with a real God’), and service and evangelism (‘who make a real difference in the world’). We’ll be splitting up the junior and senior high in the coming weeks to talk about each of those aspects of our purpose statement and what they mean. It’s an exciting time to be a part of our student program!
But wait, there’s more!!! In between our church worship services, we had a dedication service. That sanctuary was PACKED. Everyone jammed in for a time of commissioning and dedication for our new building. I have to confess, I was particularly excited that the three people chosen to dedicate the building in prayer were our senior pastor, the chair of the deacon board … and Samantha, one of our students! It was so great to see the teens recognized as part of the church, not the future church, during the dedication! And she definitely brought it (once again, see above video)!
Here’s the schedule of topics for the next five weeks in student ministry:
- November 8th: Fellowship; Dave C will teach the senior high, Chris Z will teach the middle school.
- November 15th: George F will teach the senior high on the topic of service while Melissa M will teach the middle school about evangelism.
- November 22nd: Discipleship; Jeff M will teach the senior high, Sean and Raven will teach the middle school.
- November 29th: Melissa M will teach the senior high about evangelism, Sean and Raven will teach the middle school about service.
- December 6th: Worship; George F will teach the senior high while Sue M teaches the middle school students.